A Distributed Tracing Powerhouse
Hypertrace is a distributed tracing platform which digests distributed traces from different sources, provides deep observability into your microservices, and slice-and-dices your services, endpoints, traces and attributes.
A well loaded definition! And still it doesn’t do it justice.
Microservices are trendy these days. But the more microservices, the more the burden of managing, monitoring and debugging them. Microservices can be like a spider web, just waiting to tangle you up in its trap.
|Monolithic vs Microservices Source: https://devopedia.org/microservices|
Distributed Tracing is a way to provide Observability into your services within your microservices architecture.
Monitoring tells you whether a system is working, observability lets you ask why it isn’t working
— Baron Schwartz
|Observability using Distributed Tracing|
Distributed Tracing tells a story of what’s already happened in your system so you can quickly identify your problem and find a solution.
Zipkin and Jaeger are currently the two most popular distributed tracing systems.
Hypertrace turns distributed traces into Services, APIs and Backends using a custom pluggable architecture. Any custom logic can be plugged to discover business specific entities with simple configuration changes and surfaces the data to be slice-and-diced, instead of constrained by generic tracing platform features.
In addition, Hypertrace provides:
- A trace enricher which turns traces into a service dependency graph with endpoints, traces and attributes
- Flexibility to carefully examine transactions
- Observability for Services, APIs, and Backends (databases, cloud services, etc.)
- Metrics and Visibility into Services, APIs, and Backends
- Root Cause Analysis
- Identification of Performance Bottlenecks
|Slicing and Dicing Transactions|
|Services, APIs and Backends|
Hypertrace boasts of features like:
- P50, P90, P99 metrics (Averages can be misleading)
- Better data visualizations (Waterfall, Scatter Plot, Area Chart)
- Wide range of filters, search, sorting, and grouping functionalities
- Automatic discovery of Services, APIs, and Backends
Hypertrace is for you, if you are looking for the following information:
- Traces with duration > 5 seconds
- Traces with status code as 4xx or 5xx ️
- Number of calls made to an API
- APIs within a Service
- Performance of Services, APIs, and Backends
To learn more, visit Hypertrace docs or Getting Started with Hypertrace. Also, check out the Hypertrace project on Github.
|SJ is a founding engineer at Traceable and works as a full stack engineer. Technology runs in his blood and he is a web enthusiast. He loves music, reading and playing basketball. You can reach out to him on LinkedIn to discuss anything.|